Thread: One mic concept
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting, so I get the spacial ambience being better with "timing differences"

And I can fully understand that with two different mics the ears are going to hear two different sets of characteristics including discrepancies and frequency response . Which is I suppose part of reason why some prefer two different mics for the stereo pair.

And understanding that even with a matched pair there will actually still be minuscule (depending on quality of construction) if probably undetectable by ear, differences. So for the sake of discussion we will say say the matched pair are producing the same responses and would have the same discrepancies.

But with a matched pair it would be as you say "and you have the same phase discrepancies in each mike" .......... But what I am trying to figure out is " But but each ear hears a different set of discrepancies". It doesn't seem possible that the same actual set of discrepancy characteristics can be changed either physically or phychoacoustically and heard differently (other than "timing differences") ?

Wouldn't it still be the same set of discrepancies, but simply at different arrival times ? I could be wrong but.
I guess what I am getting at is... If it is in fact it is the same set of discrepancies at different arrival times .......Wouldn't it follow then that a one mic recording with the track duplicated and time slipped (to the same differences of arrival times) would sound the same as a two mic recording?...even the Ambience which as you say is " timing differences between the two ears, when possible, into space and direction (ambience).
It is not how closely the two mikes match in frequency response. It is there different positions in relation to the guitar. If you recorded with two mikes that were in the identical position and orientation (superimposed which of course is not quite possible) then each mike's discrepancies would match. Since the mikes are not superimposed their discrepancies do not match. With coincident mic'ing it closer (hence the more mono like sound) than with spaced pairs. Thus in stereo mic'ing each ear receives a different set of discrepancies.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above