View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orion View Post
Hi all,

I've been thinking about recording an album of solo-instrumental pieces in a sort-of John-Fahey-esque style and I'm currently working out the logistics of this.

I've been in 'real' studios before, but I really prefer working at home or in more informal places where I'm not watching the clock - here's my latest 'demo' that I recorded with an Oktava MK012 at the 12th fret, and a Rode NT1a at the bridge

Which I think sounds ok but could be better - I 'processed' the track through some UAD Plugins (Studer A800, LA2a, EMT140 Plate Reverb, and Ampex Tape) and I think it sounds fine for a demo, but I'd like a final recording to sound better.

So I'm trying to work out where to spend my money... do I spend the money on a studio and track, mix and master in the studio or do I buy some better mics, record myself, maybe get it mixed and mastered elsewhere...

I figure for the style I want a couple of good mics (been looking at the beyer mc930) in x/y or ORFT in a decent sounding space would be fine - I could hire a hall for a few day at a low price and not have the 9-5 pressure of being in the studio for the tracking, and then spend a day or two mixing.

Or do you think I'm better off saving my money for getting a proper studio for a few days where all I have to worry about is playing and they handle all the recording duties?
The recording sounds good. Your playing is musical & emotional...very well played. This is completely usable, IMHO, but I'm going to suggest that you spend money on a professional mix engineer. It's the middle ground that most people forget exists for them. You can record at home. Just let someone with a better space, better tools and experience do the mixing to really get the best from your tracks.

If you want to hear what can come of a recording like this one at the hands of an experienced mixer, PM me. I'd be happy to take these raw tracks & do a quick mix (por gratis, of course) to give you a sense of what you could expect. Then, when you record your album tracks, you can find someone you feel comfortable working with to get everything mixed (it absolutely doesn't have to be me).

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele