View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM

Reading the guy's comments, I expected to find a much worse recording than I actually did. It sounds like many of the You Tube covers that I dial up.

Having said that, I do have some observations (in no particular order):

1) You're a much better player than the average You Tube cover. That higher quality of playing creates in me a subconscious demand for a higher quality of everything, including the audio experience.

2) You have a wide array of equipment, multiple guitars, nice looking amps, etc. Similar to point #1, this all creates the expectations for a better audio experience. Why spend so much time and money and then stop right at the point that directly affects the audience? This goes double (actually quadruple) given the fact that your website looks so sophisticated and technically pleasing. Why did you stop caring about the technical end when you got to the music?

3) There does seem to be a kind of tunnel, or ringing, or something that may or may not be able to be dialed down/out with your current equipment. The audio on a typical camcorder seems to be the weak link on most of these projects. Getting a good set of technical ears to help you would be worth the effort.

4) Whereas the overall sound would better be described as "audio," your voice would better be described as "tone." You have a nice, deep voice, but bass can become muddy if not directly addressed. A mic change for your vocal range might be in order, or perhaps just a little tweaking of the vocals that would help clear up your vocal tone. (The tunnel or reverb sound that is affecting the overall sound is undoubtedly contributing to the vocal muddiness).

You asked for honesty and this is the best I can give you. If you want people to load up one of your songs, you don't need to do anything. If you want them to load up 5 or 6, and then pay for a CD, you'll improve the audio experience.

Good luck!

geokie8

Last edited by geokie8; 03-30-2011 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Thought of more great stuff to say