View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 05:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

I once heard that a true craftsman is one who can cover up their mistakes. Well I make plenty mistakes but hopefully they are minor enough that they can be fixed. I suppose it is probably better from a marketing standpoint, not to admit this but what the heck.

I was admiring a beautiful guitar with a Florentine cutaway from a well renowned builder. He confessed that he it was supposed to be a Venetian cutaway but when bending the sides, they broke. There was enough material to cut off the break, and make it into a Florentine. Brilliant!

As I was working on the twins, I slipped with the router on one of the headstocks as I was cutting the inlay cavities on the headstock. While the front veneer of the headstock is made out of African Blackwood a flaw could quite easily be filled, but would it be invisible enough. Rather than worrying about that, I decided to add a little more inlay, near the nut.

The original inlay was going to stop at the first single dot working your way from the top. These guitars (as all my guitars) use what I call my stealth truss rod cover. I usually just try to match the cover as closely as possible to the overlay most often using leftover pieces from the overlay material. In this case I had to inlay the trussrod cover too. Here is a shot with one of the trussrod covers removed.

I feel it worked out. Of course keeping with the twin theme, I choose to add the "extra" inlay to both headstocks even the one without the slip.