View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 09:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic Guitars View Post
I’m excited to see the Allen Carruth scraper in action. I’ve put it on my tool list a few different times, but have never purchased it after reading reviews that it’s hard to get a burr on it without a grinding wheel, which I do not have. Do you have any ideas of how to keep it performing with just sharpening stones and a burnished?

Also, I noticed your smoothing plane is a low angle (and I presume bevel up), are you using a standard 25 degree bevel or something steeper?

I’m looking forward to seeing what direction this thread goes in once you start building the neck!
Tim, Stewmac has a video by Alan Carruth with the scraper on their website. Alan shows how to sharpen without a grinder. Sharpening this way is particularly good for softwoods, like tops etc.

Yes, it is a bevel up smoothing plane. I started with a 25 degree bevel and I have a 5 degree micro bevel and the blade itself sit in the plane at 12 degrees. Which all adds up to a 42 degree cutting angle.
I'm getting another blade which I'll start out with a 35 degree angle and end with a 52 degree cut. This will do a little better on highly figured softwoods like curly Redwood or bear claw Spruce.
It's easy to switch up blades on low angle planes

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright