View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 12:19 AM

So I may or may not be the person Brian referred to in his first post. Yes, we are collaborating on what will be a fantastic nylon crossover but he also mentioned that the person is a long time member. I actually checked and I apparently joined this forum in 2008! Time really does fly... I guess that qualifies as a long time ago so all signs point to me as the client.

While my interests predominantly lie in steel string guitars, I have a great appreciation for classical as well. From the history to the tonality of nylon strings, it's a beautiful instrument. Also as someone who is fascinated by lutherie, I find the challenge to coax energy from significantly less string tension captivating.

Alas, my barely inept playing does not support the rigors demanded by classical guitar technique. Hence the desire for a crossover but I want to retain the qualities of a classical guitar as much as possible. To me, the crossover name focuses on ergonomics. Brian and I discussed this and landed on a slightly radiused fretboard (20") and reduced nut width (49mm). The most controversial choice is probably the cutaway but luckily he was excited about this deviation too.

Now you may be thinking, the choices listed above can be found on many crossover guitars, be it factory made or small shop production like Kenny Hill. I wanted a luthier made guitar and felt compelled to work with Brian for multiple reasons. I've admired his work for years along with his dedication, having relocated to Spain to apprentice and learn this craft in full immersion. That level of commitment resonated with me and I must say it was worth it, as I saw this demo of his work on youtube:

When I think of a classical guitar, that's the sound I have in my head. I'm thrilled to work with Brian and learn more about the history of the design, which he's already alluded to(granada, bouchet, romanillos, torres). Some of our design choices have specific references which I'll leave to him to elaborate on as build pics make their way to this thread. We'll leave the wood choices as a mystery for now but suffice it to say, I intend for this to be a lifelong companion so I did not hold back!

Last edited by vpolineni; 01-21-2022 at 12:25 AM.