View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Michael Kennedy Guitars -- The Tree OO

Greetings everyone!

There are a couple of exciting things to note just in the title of this thread -- one, this will be my first build ever using the Tree! It's a thrill to finally get the chance to work with some of this legendary wood. Second, I'll be transitioning from Indian Hill Guitars to Michael Kennedy Guitars over the coming months. It's something I've thought about for years and years and I decided to finally take the plunge. I grew up on Indian Hill Road in Pound Ridge, NY and while it remains one of the most special places in the world to me, I don't think it fully represents me as a one-man shop and how much of myself I put into each guitar. So, onto something new!

Now let's get on with the build! First up is joining the back...

Joined with a little bit of naphtha on it...

I'm still finalizing what kind of design elements I want to include on this one, but I'm pretty sure there will be some uninterrupted Tree passing through the end-graft area. So, just to be safe I thought I should really try to nail that joint. Here's a shot of the rim fully joined and looking at the butt end of the guitar (the joint is above my knuckle)...

I decided to go with western red cedar laminations for the interior of the body. The back was ringing like crazy once it was fully laminated and braced -- incredibly clear with loads of sustain. In doing the frequency analysis, I don't know if I've ever had a back with such distinct and prominent peaks for the main modes. If nothing else, the cedar sure makes it look pretty and smells absolutely lovely!

I'm building this for a couple of shows that (...fingers crossed...) will happen next year. Of course, if anyone is interested I'd be happy to sell this one ahead of time so don't hesitate to get in touch and stake your claim!

Thanks for looking and more soon...
instagram