View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 02:22 AM

Haha, EvaB, I got a feeling we're similar ranking on the persist-o-meter.

While there is indeed a trade-off between string height and volume, for the majority us, its practically imperceptible - especially for steel strings, and even more so when you consider this is a guitar designed for travel and isn't meant to go head-to-head with a D-18 or an AJ in a bluegrass jam. High saddle or lower - this guitar sounds awesome for it's size, and the tone is huge - which is what we were primarily concerned with.

My recommendation to any guitarist is - go with what feels good and what you enjoy. You'll find you'll play a lot more and that will do more for the sound of the guitar than a few mm change in the saddle.

I personally have two saddles in my OF660 and I swap out depending on the style I'm playing at the time. (all guitars ship with two saddles so you can swap them out now)

On our approach to the classical, on which a higher break angle is needed due to the lower tension of nylon, we're going for a high break angle while minimizing string height - just as we've done on the wood OC520 collapsible classical. The nice thing about a carbon bridge is it can take significantly more force than can a wood bridge - so I can experiment with higher saddle heights and materials that I couldn't safely do with wood. While setup is an issue in achieving ideal tone/volume, I'll get the most bang for my buck by focusing research on bracing, materials and layup. In the end, it will take time, but I think we'll get something you'll be satisfied with - and we may reach out to for an expert opinion.

As for new upcoming models and the timing, all I can say is we'll launch a new collapsible model this NAMM in wood and carbon, along with the all-solid RoadTrip Professional. Next year we're doing 2 new carbon models, one of which will tickle your fancy. For now, I'd like to keep this thread focused on the OF660 as it's a great reference for guitarists who want to know more about this model.

Thanks again for your insightful comments and enthusiasm.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.