View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I was listening to a friend of mine perform a few days ago and her battery quit working on her Taylor ES1-equipped guitar. She got the sound guy to mic it (SM-58, I think) and it sounded a lot better to me than what it was sounding like just before the battery croaked.

So, I decided to order myself a Tonedexter to do some experimenting on my own guitars (and possibly hers, and other singer/songwriters I know).

This leads me to a few thoughts/questions:

1) Has anybody tried this product yet with an ES1 Taylor, and if so, how were the results? I intend to try it out. I guess we'll see.

2) If one likes the way his guitar sounds mic'd through an SM57 / SM 58 / etc (or other relatively inexpensive mic), I don't see the point in buying/renting a high-end condenser mic to use with the Tonedexter. Seems to me if you want your guitar to sound like it does mic'd through an SM57, then you should use the SM57 with the Tondexter.

3) Lots of people play with feedback-busters on their acoustics, which will muffle the actual acoustic sound. I'm assuming that one could use the Tonedexter to record/train the sound WITHOUT the feedback-buster on, but then play the guitar through the Tonedexter WITH the feedback-buster on and still get a very good results.

4) Similarly, I wonder if one cold record/train with the Tone Dexter using (insert favorite brand of strings here and age of strings), but then play back later with some other set of strings and get most of the sound associated with the (insert favorite brand here) ? Think "I love the sound of Martin Titanium strings" but I don't like paying $40 a set for them. So, buy ONE set of the strings and train with the Tonedexter, but later play back through the ToneDexter using Martin Retros (as an example), instead. Might still get most of the benefit of the higher-dollar strings (tone-wise) without having to continually buy high-dollar sets? Or maybe be able to play OLD strings a lot longer through the Tondexter and still get "new string" sound?
I might get corrected on some of my points but here are my thoughts:

1) I haven't heard of anyone trying the ES.1 with the Tonedexter but it's worth a shot. The only issue might be with the neck magnetic pickup. I thought on later ES models, the blend could be adjusted but not sure about that.

2) There's nothing wrong with trying the SM57 and you might get great results. I just think with the Tonedexter, there's so much room for experimentation that it's hard to stick with one mic. However, people seem to be getting great results with the 57.

3) Record your guitar with the feedback buster off and then add it for live performances. Just like the Aura, the feedback buster won't impact the plugged in tone with the Tonedexter, it doesn't work that way. The wavemap is already created so the feedback buster will not dampen your tone.

4) I have wondered that as well. I was considering playing with strings that were not brand new and maybe even increasing my action a bit to get a deeper tone when recording and then putting it back for live playing. I assume that the wavemap will sound like the strings/action that was originally used for the recording. However, if you then switch to new strings for live playing, you might just have to adjust the eq but this is the case with any preamp and new/old strings.