View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’ve continued on in Art of Solo Fingerstyle. After Fishin Blues, I did an abridged version of White House Blues (basically the first page and the last two pages) that are the solo fingerstyle sections. Etude was next (lovely but short song) and then I started to learn 4 finger rolls with Dedicated to Mississippi John Hurt (DMJH). I skipped Bill Bailey and Over the Waves because I’m just not into the melodies of each. Over Thanksgiving, I started to explore Flier which I think is one of Mark’s best compositions. I’ll focus on DMJH and Flier probably through mid spring. I’ll wrap up this book with Twin Sisters and Strawberry Curl which will take me into 2019 I’m sure. Future Mark Hanson compositions I’d like to tackle are the full performance version of Key to the Kingdom and Mark’s solo fingerstyle version of The Water is Wide.
Well done, Bob! Those are some fun tunes you have going on.

I've been working on Key to the Kingdom off and on for months (the simple version). I can play it "ok" at medium tempo, but it sounds like a totally different tune at the speed Mark goes at! Art of Solo Fingerstyle is a great book, and I hope to dig in deeper as my technique improves.