View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Default Hello, my name is Dave and I play the banjo...

Yes, I confess - I play banjo. I grew up playing bluegrass - flatpick guitar, mando, dobro, banjo, fiddle.

Here's a tune I played banjo on a couple years ago. It was a session that was being produced by Tommy Sims (who got a Grammy for Eric Clapton's Change The World). I haven't even owned a banjo for 20 years, but like I said I grew up playing one and still remember the fret board, and I play a lot of fingerstyle guitar which translates nicely to the banjo with right hand technique (I didn't use finger/thumb picks on this session - just fingers for a less bluegrassy tone). I'd played a lot of live stuff for the artist doing the project (Anthony Skinner), usually guitar or mando - but never banjo. I guess he just assumed I could play one.

I got the call for the session about 2 days prior and borrowed a buddy's Gibson and spent a couple days remembering how to do the rolls, then went to the session. Tommy Sims asked me where to mic it. I asked him if he'd ever recorded a banjo before. He said no. I said, "Well, we have equal experience with this - lets try putting the mic there." I was over dubbing on the tune - most of it had already been recorded. I didn't get to hear the tune till I showed up at the studio. It was pretty easy stuff until the bridge which got into a bunch of weird unfriendly banjo chords. But he liked what I did on it. Tommy Sims has quite the ears on him. He looked like a rapper and had no experience with banjo, but during the bridge there was a Bb chord and I played the short G string on the banjo in a roll and he stopped me and said, "Hey man, leave that 6th out of the Bb." Pretty impressive.

The song is titled TINY MOTOR CARS. You can hear it on the link below. The banjo comes in after the 2nd verse.

TINY MOTOR CARS

One of these days, I'd like to get another banjo - a decent one - and do a bit more playing on it again.

Last edited by 815C; 12-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.