View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Steve makes a good point upthread, but one that assumes that you don't do sideways vibrato by bending. Low action and heavy tension strings make that much more difficult. Of course the classic bebop era jazzers weren't about the B B King style wiggles and wavers.

On my variety of electrics I tend to use Ernie Ball's 009. - .046 Slinky set. I keep a couple of Teles and my Jimi Hendrix reverse Strat with old-school nickel wound string set similar to the Fender 150 nickel-wrap lights of the 60s and 70s which are a weird mix (.010 to .038). Pure nickel wrap tends to be a little less bright, and works particularly well with single coils (and they are the strings Jimi used). The Slinkys work well with a wide variety of guitars, are priced reasonably, available everywhere, and their bright sound is where I generally want to start with electric guitar tone.

For other nickel wrapped strings, I've used DR Pure Blues which also use a round wire center core (most strings use a hex core wire inside the wrapped strings). They are a tiny bit less resistant to bending per diameter on the wound strings than hex core strings. Also a bit more mellow than the Slinkys. Be sure to follow the round-core string kink and bring to tension before cutting advice if you try them.

On my big electric archtop I use Tomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing flats (.011-047 or .012-050, I forget, I used to use the .012 but my old fingers may have moved to .011) and I've always meant to try them on something else again someday. Kind of like the Fender "Jimi Used 'em" set it's kind of a medium top, light bottom set, and TI's tension per diameter philosophy is easier bending/lighter tension than just about any electric guitar string out there. TI also makes a round-wrap string. These are both nickel and have a round core, and (alas) like all TI strings. are very pricey. But they last seem to last a long time and sound super mellow. Flats feel and, I'll warn you, sound very different from conventional electric guitar strings, and they are ill suited to the timbres most electric guitars seek. If this sounds interesting to you, and you're willing to pay the cost of a set, maybe try the TI Jazz Bebop round-wound set and see if works well with your desires and guitar, and if you like it and want more, consider the flats.

If you are after conventional modern electric guitar tone and want to try something just a bit easier to bend or barre, the Fender Jimi Hendrix .010-038 or the more conventional in diameters but slightly lower tension round-core string DR Pure Blues set would be worth a try.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....