View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 08:32 AM

My introduction to this sort of instrument was the Ashbory bass, a 20th century idea to create a very-short-scale instrument using fat rubbery strings and a piezo pickup to approximate the sound of an upright bass.

Challenges with the Ashbory? The combination of very short scale and fretless neck highlighted my poor sense of intonation (violin or viola players would think me lame). The original rubbery strings had a great sound, but were sticky under the fingers and often broke just from being under tension.

I moved on to a Kala U-bass several years ago. They use a different string that is more like a super fat classical guitar treble string. Not nearly as sticky. My U-Bass has frets. I moved over to the Kala strings on my Ashbory after playing the U-Bass. I'm not sure the Kala strings sound better on the Ashbory, but they are easier to play.

I tuned either to EADG, same a "real bass."

As already mentioned, the sound is somewhat upright-bass-like, but they are remarkably easy to play, are quite portable, and are a worthwhile option for those that want to add a different sound.

Ditto on the light weight and sound of the Fender Rumble series. For recording, I just plug in direct.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....