View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Hi Joseph, I appreciate your feedback. Most of these were shot with my Sony RX100 MV which has a focal range of 24 to 70mm. I am never comfortable taking surreptitious photos of strangers. Not saying I never do it, but I feel like it's sneaky and invasive. I'm no photojournalist. I want to take pictures of people who want to have their pictures taken. I step up to them and hold the camera up with a smile and a questioning gesture, or just ask, "May I take your photo?" They smile and look right at the camera, sometimes strike a pose. Those are my best results!

What I've found, particularly in developing countries, is that people often enjoy when visitors take an interest in them and they like to have their picture taken, and love to see it when it's done. And it's sort of a one shot, spontaneous deal. Candids are great, but not as satisfying to me. I'm probably just too hesitant to get good ones. (Although I have many beautiful candids of my friends and family.)

Of these 2 photos, the one with the boy and his grandmother is much more compelling to me than the one I took of the couple on the railway platform.

_DSC1897 by onlythismoment, on Flickr

2019-04-02_05-41-53 by onlythismoment, on Flickr
Both compelling shots but I agree the young boy with grandmother is really endearing. I’ve been to India (a few years back) but it was for work and the thought of photography was far from my mind. I will say of all the places I’ve visited in this world India, for its vibrancy, color and endlessly beautiful, gentle, kindly souls is absolutely magical. A photographer’s dream world. Maybe just a plain and simple anyone’s dream world.

You’re pics perhaps inspire me to go back before it’s too late for me

On the subject of your lens I’ve often thought a less invasive camera like your Sony provides a much better platform for this type of photography. Plus it’s obviously more than capable of moving, inspirational shots. 70mm provide some distance and if the subjects willing 35mm is my all time favorite.

Anyway you should be proud of these pics. They’re very, very good!