View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM

Default -re "more about what I want to do with these mics"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm not sure what the question is here, but to me, you're way overthinking this. The difference between all these options is going to be *very* subtle. I'd go back and re-read Bob Womack's comment and really take it to heart. You don't need to choose the perfect mic based on specs, and doing that likely won't be very effective - tho probably any of the mics you list would work out fine for you. There are sites that have mic shootouts posted, if you really want to spend time trying to understand the differences. Or there are places that will let you try and return mics, so you can try them yourself. Or you can find recordings whose sound you like and try to find out what they used (There are lots of recordings and videos here on AGF, so you should be able to contact the poster and ask about what gear they used.)

Also, as others have pointed out, rather than focusing on selecting a mic, it's more effective to plan out your whole setup. If you want advice, it helps to be more specific about what you plan to record, what experience you have with recording, what your current gear and recording environment is like, what your budget is, and so on.

So I guess I could have phrased this as a question: "Can you tell us more about what you want to do with these mics?"
-re Bob Womack's comment;
"Back in 1980 my professor of Recording Techniques and Electronic Music taught me a profound lesson: you need to make music with what you have and not long for some new instrument or device to come along. Adopting that philosophy has kept me from pursuing the rotating door of either guitars or mics. Its kind of "Equipment checks in; it never checks out." Bob :

I just want to make various vocal & acoustic guitar tracks, -but not always of just a "prototype" or "demo" quality. -I do have a Radar 24 (with Nyquist converters), & a couple of Grace Design M101 pres & Mogami instrument & mic cables. -Id like to, (& should be able to) produce some clean -pro quality tracks of this kind in my little/medium sized room that I can later take somewhere else so as to add on other tracks such as drums, electric guitars with amps etc.