View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 08:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
What wood do you use for the inner sides, if I may ask? And why is the adhesive "sparingly" used between the double sides?
I usually use Spanish Cedar or Mahogany for the inner skin when laminating to lighter colored exterior woods. I use Black Walnut or EIR inner skins for darker colored exterior woods. IMO sides don't really contribute [a lot] to the overall tone of the instrument but play more of a structural role to support the top and back. As a comparison think of how the rigid rim of a drum supports the top and bottom drum head skins.

I try to use any glue, as sparingly as possible. You only need to use enough to hold the joint together and any more than that is wasted glue plus you've added mass and weight that contributes nothing to the production or transference of energy. I am from the school of thought that the lighter you can build an instrument, in the right places, can contribute positively to the production of power, projection and responsiveness of the instrument. Add weight and mass, in the wrong places, stifles it.