View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

That sounds better than I'd expect in an untreated room. I'd lay off the compressor, I hear it pumping, unless you want that audible effect. The balance leans to the left - a meter designed to show you stereo balance can help during mic setup, and then you can fine tune it in the mix.

One thing about recording is that it shows us how we sound from the mic position. You're playing well, but the thumb is really loud. I know that thumb style calls for a big boom-chuck, but the melody's a bit swamped. It could be mic placement, it could be the compression, or it could be that you have to adjust your playing a bit for recording. What works live doesn't always translate to the mics.

I'm also confused, since I thought you were talking about one mic, but I hear a pretty dramatic stereo effect. Is one side a pickup? That's probably going to produce some rather funny phase/stereo image effects, and may be why it doesn't sound balanced to me. If you want to use a pickup, I'd play with blending it in differently - I'd probably try stereo micing, with a bit of pickup in the middle to add some "solid" sound. There are other techniques, but I'd shy away from fancy blending until you get a sound you like from mics alone.

I'd also suggest skipping *all* effects on the mix until you get a sound you like just from mic placement. At that point, *tiny* amounts of EQ, compression (maybe), and reverb can add the final gloss.