Thread: NUD - Farallon
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
....I know Earl has one of these, but I cannot recall if his is set up for high or low G. Earl?
Congrats! My Farallon has become my daily player, displacing all of the other ones. I did not get the pickup when I bought it from Ted and Helene, although they had both in stock at that time last December.

Mine is Low G, which I prefer for my ukulele, because I can do a "boom-chuck" kind of thing with it that just doesn't work as well with High G. Finger picking patterns are fuller too, and you can sorta do an alternating bass. But I still keep one or two ukes in High G configuration, to visit with the alternatives once in a while. (Re-entrant High G tuning is considered the "traditional" ukulele sound, with Low G being a new variant).

Coincidentally, we sold our best wood ukulele this morning, a Mya Moe hand built from flamed mahogany. It was my wife's #1 but she doesn't play the uke all that seriously. One of our club members (and an occasional intermediate student) just fell in love with it when she was shopping. She ended up with a Clara concert sized pineapple shape because she camps a lot in the summers and needed something durable and compact. When she mentioned recently that she would still be interested if we ever decided to sell, Alice surprised me by saying she could part with it. Of course her backup is my Farallon, which is very comparable in tone and playability - but slightly different.

For those considering the Blackbird Farallon, it takes an exceptional example of a similarly priced hand-made boutique instrument to be competitive. And even then the differences are pretty subtle. Not better or worse, just different.