View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM

Default I played a few Sigma guitars today

This morning I went to a local guitar shop, which has a good selection of Sigma (AMI) guitars, and tried a few.
The first one was the OMR-1ST (OM, solid spruce top, lam rosewood b/s, 1 3/4 inches nut width, bone nut & saddle, full gloss, satin neck), which sells for about 320 euros. Good fit and finish (the rosewood laminated back and sides were very nice looking, but the spruce top had some darker streaks on it) and nice playability (even though the neck might be "faster"). As for sound, the guitar has a good bass response and a clear "martinesque" tone, very pleasant for a guitar at this price point.
Then I played the LM-SG00 (Gibson L-00 style, solid spruce top, lam mahogany b/s, short scale, 1 3/4 nut width, bone nut & saddle), which sells for about 600 euros. This one had a very beautiful sunburst and Grover open geared tuners, plus a Fishman Sonitone. This guitar seemed to have more midrange, but the good bass response was still there.
Last but not least, i tried a 000R-45VS (000 body style, 12 frets, slotted headstock), wich sells for about 800 euros. This one had the warmest and deepest tone of the three (I love twelve frets guitars), but there was way too much abalone on it!
Finally, and in conclusion, those guitars are well built/finished instruments with a distinctive voice, but, if I was asked to choose one, I would go with the cheaper OMR-1ST, which in, in my opinion, is the best value of the three (it's not easy to find a good OM with 1 3/4 nut, great for fingerpicking, for 300 euros).
At a higher price level, on the contrary, I think the competition is more tough: this same morning i played a Seagull SWS Mini Jumbo, for instance, that was a better overall guitar than the two pricier Sigma (despite having a completely different tone).