View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I had not been feeling motivated to play my guitars for a while, and had felt some frustration with rustiness as a result. When I would pick up a guitar, it just was not that exciting.

So, I traded in an old Yamaha P80 digital piano for a new Yamaha workstation that was a lot lighter and more technically up to date.

After three weeks of playing, with my Ipad hooked up to stream my favorite songs and play through the keyboard speakers, I am in heaven.

While I am not new to piano, I signed up with an online teacher (Piano in 21 Days) who is showing me how to play current pop songs through a focus on chord progressions, inversions, arpeggios, and so forth. It doesn't hurt that I play by ear, because after I figure out the chord progression, I can pretty much sit down and play whatever I want.

Maybe I will be inspired to pick up my guitar again soon, but in the meantime I am truly having a ball. When I hit a key or chord, it sounds like it is supposed to, and not with the kind of frustrations in technique that can come with trying to master a stringed instrument.
You do realize that such an admission can put you in guitar jail.

Funny you should mention going from guitar to piano. I have found that the music I want to make seems to be piano music. I have several really nice guitars, but most of my music time seems to be spent more and more on my piano.

I have a Roland V-Grand, which is their best digital. Also, I have several piano courses that I work from as well as figuring out stuff off recordings by ear. The advantage of the piano in that regard is that every pitch occurs on just one, and only one, key. The piano usually does not get retuned in various ways as the guitar does with all the open and alternate tunings.

However, I have found that after playing piano for a while, I can go back to the guitar with a fresh musical perspective. So, it seems to me, it is all good. If anything, being able to play more than one instrument broadens our musical horizons.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...