View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have to say that my "first two hour experience" was considerably different... I think I recorded a vocal, a harmony vocal, guitar, drums, and bass with the Spire Studio. I do switch from using the Spire's wifi connection to my iPad to an internet connection... when I am done recording in that session. I haven't found that to be an issue.

If you have a singer/player who isn't consistent with the Spire, they will likely be inconsistent with a DAW, as well. Or even worse: with something like an H4n Pro.

No, I don't think the Spire is a replacement for a DAW, but it is a good companion, and easily portable. For my use, it has been all I need (after a "flirtation" with Logic Pro X).
My concern with the setting is that I worry that an inconsistent vocalist may "soundcheck" at a lower level and then in the heat of singing a take go into the digital red. When I record this vocalist I always give him lots of headroom. Whatever I may loose in terms of ultimate quality or SN ratio is minimal compared to digital overs. I did record him once on a Zoom handheld, and there I made sure the level gave him room, which is just a knob setting on the Zoom.

There may be a way to manually set a recording level on the Spire, but I don't recall seeing it offhand. I wonder if Izotope uses a limiter to minimize the damage from digital overs? I should try to purposely overload it and see what happens.

The Spire's one-button "magic" level setting is a great idea for those uninterested in recording as process. I admire Isotope for trying something novel there. This is also consistent with their computer software: automated "wizards" are offered to offer ballpark setting for complex effects--but with their software they also offer considerable control for those who want to do something manually or modify the suggestions.

I may be "hampered" by having used multiple DAWs and more than one "portastudio" standalone device over the years. I'm used to a certain metaphor and workflow that I think has core commonalities that the Spire dispenses with or hides as possible confusions. Your point about ease of use is valid! I don't think a DAW and associated computer system/interface is likely easier to use to get nice multitrack recordings of guitars and voice--far from it--and for someone not interesting in the flexibility of a DAW, this thing has promise and has already delivered for you and some others here.

I wasted the largest chunk of time in my short time-availability just trying to export the raw tracks, something I know the Spire can do from their marketing material, and a core need for my use, but not anything that it seemed to have as a menu choice hidden or otherwise, nor could I find it in Izotope's online only FAQ.

What I was eventually able to stumble into was sharing it to Izotope's 7 day duration cloud storage with an Email link and then opening that link on my computer's email which in turn opens a web page interface which allowed me to download the track files (stems) as a zip archive. I can live with that! But why was it so hard to discover?

This, or my previous post is not a rant. Nor am I disputing your experience or desire to be informative to other readers of this product. The Spire is very slick in how it does some things. I've used Izotope's software for years, and like it plenty. I like that they are trying something different with the Spire. I have a need I'm still hoping it may fill, and if it doesn't work for that, it may replace my Zoom handheld for "location" recording.

And any readers of what I wrote: don't take it as some definitive review of this product. I just wanted to let others know that the Spire is different. Some of that difference will please many, even if I'll need to work a bit harder to see how to use it in my scenario. And a lot of what I'm confused about or not always liking is down to the app software, which could be changed if Izotope continues development.

If I wasn't too busy I'd buckle down and write something like "The Missing Manual" series on how the Spire works. Am I right that Izotope hasn't done that: produced a downloadable manual?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....