View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I assume you must have hyperacousis. I also have the condition, so I can sympathize.

If I wanted an archtop but had steel string issues I'd think about just picking up something like the Epi Olympic and retrofitting with nylon strings that are commonly run on the crossover acoustics. Crossover strings are usually hard tension with flourocarbon trebles and might be a good option. Since the Epi has a piezo saddle bridge that should work for amplification purposes.
Yes. Hyperacusis... and 2 other things.

Tinnitus that has been going on for 6 years non-stop, 3 frequencies always ringing with one that oscillates a bit; 3600 hz, 7800 hz and 8000hz. VERY annoying. I have to have music at 85+ db to drown it out if I want a break. Although that leads to MORE ringing when I am done... It's a nasty circle

I also hear well beyond what I should for a mid 40's male. Up to 12,500 hz. My Hyperacusis kicks in at the 4000hz and beyond range. Sounds will hurt me when other people barely or don't even hear them at all! You probably know what I'm talking about.

I quit playing guitar for a couple of years, then tried to get back into it. It's hard to play when you find your head trying to get away. Sounds bizarre, but you may not what I mean. I literally found that I was subconsciously pulling my head more and more away as I was playing. Hard to play when you are running away from yourself.

Classical guitar was my door back in. hardly any issues as all with it. The position shifts can bother me a pinch, but I limit that through technique. I run Carbon strings on my Classicla and it is SOOOOOO nice. I bought a good one, Solid Rosewood B/S with a double Cedar Top. Warm, dynamic range, good volume if I want it.

I'm liking the Gretsch so far for me ears. I wanted to get back into something that I could strum and also dirty up a bit if I want to. I bought a POD500 years ago. I can run one guitar through 2 virtual amps. I liked having one clean, then a 2nd signal dirty that I could bring in with the volume pedal. I could even pan it (clean left, dirty right), many options. Acoustically the Gretsch doesn't hurt me the way steel string acoustics do. So then plugged in I should be able to control whatever offending frequencies may appear. Low pass filters can help.

I have thought about a Godin Nylon Multiac. I just tried one the other day and it played well. Although strumming and lead work just doesn't work as good.

Thanks for your input. I am sorry for any pain you suffer! Just curious, have you had any luck with hearing aids or any external tools like that? I've stuck to earplugs and noise canceling Bose headphones. However the tinnitus complicates the earplugs, it just accentuates the ringing. The Bose headphones let me play music. Nice for blocking out the world, but bad at meals! Cutlery on plates is one of the worst things for me!