Ernie Ball VP jr
Dedicated tuner out to Boss TU-3
ART MP tube pre with Sovtek 12ax7
MXR Carbon Copy delay
MXR smart gate
TC Eletronics Corona Chorus
MXR digital reverb
Electro-Harmonix 360 looper
Thank you! This looks similar to the sort of setup I am striving for. If I am struggling with a few of my pedals this will give me some good leads for potential swap-outs. The ART MP tube pre I never would have thought for using in a signal chain like this. Do you intentionally overdrive it at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Is this for gigging, or just home use? I didn't notice it if you explained.
Good question! Both. Mostly gigging. I am trying to simplify/streamline my rig to save space and maximize my familiarity with/knowledge of less equipment overall from instrument to instrument. My goal is to use my gigging rig for low(er) volume home practice and for recording work, so I am not switching setups/gear quite as much. I find switching between "home practice amps" and "gigging amps" pretty jarring. I LOVE my Chubster 40 but almost never practice with it at home. On one hand, when I do play it again, it always surprises me with how good it sounds. On the other hand, it also requires me to re-familiarize myself with it. For example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The one *pitfall* in your quest is the bass guitar. Some 12" powered PA speakers don't sound bad with bass, as long as you are not trying to get loud or too punchy - and not trying to have other things through the speaker at the same time (vocals, etc). Some, though, provide a very anemic bass sound - there's a reason bass speaker cabinets are bigger/deeper.
A keyboard through a 12" PA speaker is fine - but 10" tend to have the low end drop off badly.
Electric guitar, use a good pedalboard or modeler (go for the Helix if you've got the money and you'll never drag a tube amp around again).
Yeah, I abandoned the FRFR thing for bass for that very reason. I am trying to get what I need out of an Ashdown C112 (180w expandable to 300w with another 8ohm ext cab) and a Traynor AM Std 150w acoustic amp as my main sources of sound or as personal monitors when a good PA is available. They work fantastic for their respective focuses and have great EQ sections, but I'm going to try to make them work in a wet/dry and/or stereo setup, as well (for acoustic and electric guitar/mando, not bass). Plus, together they weigh as much as a single tube combo. I'm also going to try running my keyboard through them (C112 on the L/bass; AM Std on the R/treble side).

I can't stand menus and sub menus and USB and deep editing. I spend way too much time in front of screens already. And I don't like "hidden functionality." In my experience even though it seems more intimidating first I like the "what you see is what you get" interfaces and well-designed, purpose-driven equipment that doesn't allow (let alone require!) editing dozens of parameters to get me to the sounds I'm after. Also a big factor: I run Linux exclusively, which pretty much excludes all that "patch manager" software.

I have even avoided anything with "internal DIP switches" and the like. The exception is the XD-2 which has an attenuator for its boost function, but that is easily accessible through the battery door and pretty much "set and forget" (or just forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
First, at Steve's suggestion I bought a Bugera V22 Infinium and have no regrets. Do a little shopping because it looks like the price has increased. Get the Infinium version, not the older model. BTW, I did swap out the tubes for JJs.

If size and weight are a concern, take a look at the Yamaha THR10 or THR10C. This is a small but capable modeling amp that has a headphone/line-out jack to plug in to your mixer or powered speaker. No, it doesn't give you exactly the sound of a tube amp, but it's pretty good, and you can edit the settings with a Windows PC or Mac and save up to five presets.
The THR series looks fantastic for home practice/recording! But I'm on Linux and unless I'm recording I don't like hooking up music gear to computer. I made an exception for Pianoteq for my keyboard but that is pretty much it. So glad they officially support Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
It’s possible to do a unified setup - I’ve got one that uses a 1U acoustic preamp and a 1U mutlifx unit. It’s great for acoustic and completely workable for electric, and it reduces the load to a rack and the instruments (assuming you’re plugging into a PA).
Rack gear is even more foreign to me than pedal stuff, but I could definitely see a compact rack unit being workable. I just want to see if this pedal board based setup will work, and don't even know where to begin with rack-based equipment!

I appreciate all these suggestions. Options abound. I'm sure I will figure something out.

Last edited by ethanay; 11-25-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: answered question better