Thread: Blackbird Savoy
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I just went through a lot of what you are describing. I also wanted to play smaller guitars more than full size. I've owned too many guitars from all different manufactures than I'd like to admit, but I was looking for that "one".
I build cabinets and after a day of cutting wood the guitar I would reach for was my gs mini. I played it so much I sold all my other guitars. I just could not get used to the 1 11/16 nut. I also started to realize I needed a carbon fiber guitar. It's very dry in CO.
I bought a Rainsong CH-OM thinking it would have the same appeal as the gs mini but with a 1 3/4 nut. It was just too big and I couldn't get used to the flat neck. Then I bought a cargo. Those are amazing guitars but didn't like the scale length.
I was able for a short time to borrow a lucky 13 and loved the way it felt. After playing the L13 I sold the cargo and got a Blackbird Rider. I can't say enough amazing things about the rider. I will never sell it. I actually preferred the size and tone of the rider over the L13. I still wanted something different and I have to tell you the savoy in the "one". It's unique, it sounds incredible. It's very comfortable.
Every video I've seen with the savoy does not do it justice. I recorded a short video of myself playing on another thread and it doesn't do it justice. It's loud. Not as loud as a GA but it's loud. Much louder than the cargo. The neck profile is somewhere between the Rainsong and a taylor. Extremely comfortable. It has a truss rod but it does not feel neck heavy like a RS CH-PA. Life is short
Thanks for sharing your journey, bry. It is very insightful to me, especially since you’ve actually tried most of the other guitars on my radar. I watched your video when you first posted it and just did again a few times. You play very well, certainly a different style than me which I quite like. Is there a name for that style and do you do it all the time with right hand note tapping and harmonics mostly over the neck and that style of fretting? I would think it gives a different tone than more conventional right hand played over the body/soundhole and left hand fretting...do you play that way too, and have you noticed tonal differences?