View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM
some guy from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
The insurance company will demand an estimate from someone with credentials... a known luthier or tech for instance.

And as somebody mentioned, it's the OTHER driver's insurance company who is liable.

It's very important, with a severe impact like this, that you seek medical attention right now. It may take a few days for you to see how you're going to feel, but you need to get everything on the record right away. And take your time, get all the treatment you need. You can get another guitar, but you've only got one body. Again, the other insurance company is liable.

Don't be in a hurry to settle the insurance claim... if you rush it you will undoubtedly get ripped off. When I was rear-ended (it totaled my car) I didn't settle for almost two years.

Nobody wants to hear this, but you may need to get a lawyer. The other driver's insurance company WILL TRY TO PAY YOU AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!! And they are very good at taking advantage of amateur negotiators (in other words, you and me).

Best wishes to you and your guitar, and be well!
thanks. I agree it can take days or even a week or so for deep injuries to show up. Neck is OK. Headrest was at a good position. I felt the impact mostly in my chest.

both drivers have the same insurance company. My guitar is covered under my homeowners (actually renters) policy. But true.... maybe payment will come from the other drivers policy.