View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:13 PM

I know there have been a lot of discussions here that debate what constitutes a line array and what doesn't- I wanted to point out that it's not a black vs. white issue. At times there have been business interests involved that, in my opinion, did not contribute positively to the discussions.
Even though the SoloAmp may not meet the pure technical definition of a line array, it still possesses some advantages over traditional speaker design- namely a wide horizontal dispersion, a controlled vertical dispersion, and the ability to mount it at ear level and direct the sound. Even if you look at it as a fancier MTM configuration, it has great benefits over a standard amp. True line arrays don't come without design disadvantages, either- namely, weak bass reproduction due to the small drivers required.
So I would not be so quick to cast out the SoloAmp, based on what is essentially clever marketing. I think it is a very nice design compromise that sounds great, has more than adequate bass response without the need for a subwoofer, and is very portable. Obviously I'm a happy user of the product; I don't doubt that the others are great too, so you should probably give them all a try and draw your own conclusions.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique