View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 AM

Without having gone on an extensive search for some amazing archtop, I think the Eastman I picked up used , (I think an 803ce), is the best archtop I've been able to find.

Along with this I've had for ~30 years a one or two-off signature Gibson l4c archtop 'oval-hole' that was prototyped for someone I know and given me as a gift. I used to think it was quite a guitar, and the Eastman made me realize how much better I liked it. (the Eastman). I've had a fair number of Gibson archtops but that was what was easy to get in those days, (when they weren't very expensive) and never had one I was nuts about.

Aside from that I've probably played all but the very top end of the archtops and still think that the Eastmans are a fluke of goodness in that world. Yeah, someone somewhere no doubt does a better job and when I played some (Probably I have the name wrong) Benedetto's? at Buffalo Bros, I liked those as well, but the shape of the ones in stock wasn't as satisfying for touch & feel to me as the Eastman they had.

So, maybe it's not in your head, or is in a few of our heads ;)

Good guitar. I have a few amplified & unamplified recordings on my YT site if you dig around.

So enjoy if you get it, (or if you don't). I've had a good time playing almost all of them, but thus far, the Eastman is in first place.