View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi hatamoto

People write differently. Sometimes when I have a short progression, I hook up my looper and 'play' till things gel.

I have written very few songs in one sitting.

I tend to collect fragments of song pieces as they pop into my mind. Since they pop into my mind usually when I'm playing 'other' things, I grab my H1n recorder and record the idea and then go back to what I was playing.

And then I put those fragments into a folder and visit them periodically to just listen to them. Often some of the fragments can be glued to others, and sections of a song are born.

Don't know how you work, or how your brain organizes things. You need to discover it and then don't lose the fragments which come to mind.

I tend to collaborate well, since I understand form and how to play harmonies behind other players. So if a player has an idea, I can usually help them flesh it out.

Have fun writing!!!

This is good advice. I find the best way for me to "hear" something is play some lead lines on top of a looped chord progression, then somehow find a way to play them simultaneously so I have a melody and bass line piece. I only have one verse down and the challenge is finding another verse then progress from there. I'll try recording my ideas, maybe that will help me keep organized. It's fun, very challenging but rewarding.