View Single Post
Old 12-25-2021, 08:47 PM

Hi tbirdman,

I just bought my first harp guitar a couple of months ago - a Timberline T20HGC. I went back and forth trying to decide between the less expensive parlor model and the full-sized, more expensive one. I’ve never played the parlor hg, but I’m happy I went with the full-sized model. The price for the parlor is hard to beat, but I have to say I still feel like I got more than my money’s worth with the T20HGC.

I think someone with a smaller build might appreciate the parlor size, but I’m 5’10” and I think a parlor would have been too small for me. Another consideration would be if you’ll be playing while seated with a footstool, or standing. I play seated (classical style) and I find it to be comfortable.

Also, a parlor might be preferred if you’ll be playing exclusively at home (?)

I think if you would typically play a parlor, you’d be at home with a parlor harp guitar. Otherwise I don’t think I would recommend it simply because it’s the cheapest option.

Keep in mind shipping is around $150, and the onboard electronics will add $400 or so, regardless of which size you choose.

I decided against the arm bevel. The models that feature this option were out of my price range. I’m not sorry I didn’t get it (I’ve never had one on any of my guitars).

The other models are made from different tone woods, I am very happy with the T20HGc (mahogany).

So my T20HGc with electronics installed plus shipping was around $1,900.

I find it to be a very easy guitar to play, really good tone imho. Coming from a classical background I was worried that the narrower nut would make fingerpicking difficult but I have had no trouble. It took me time to adjust to the bass strings - I actually had trouble at first playing the regular guitar portion because the bass strings were sort of in my way visually.

I don’t believe nylon strings would be suitable, but Gregg Miner offers a string configuration service to get you the right strings for your type of playing - he would be happy to guide you on strings.

Tonedevil guitars makes a nylon-string version which you might want to consider. albeit at a higher price point.

If you ever want to expand to super trebles, check out Muriel Trebles made by Brunner Guitars!

Hope this helps! Good luck!