View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic Guitars View Post
Thanks! I have French polished every instrument I have made so far, but didn’t really get it down until this past year. The first few attempts were less French polish and more just a few coats of shellac, but after lots of practice, I figured it out. It’s involved and takes some extra time, but I work out of my home basement and do not want to introduce any noxious sprays into my process. And of course the biggest factor is the sound quality and feel. I don’t like the plasticy feel of nitro and other finishes, and I would not trade sound quality for dent protection. Of course this is just my opinion and don’t think anyone else’s preferences are wrong. Plus turning shellac flakes and Everclear into a guitar finish makes me feel like an insane alchemist.
I've never tried it for a guitar but did try it for an old wooden mantlepiece in our house, and while the results weren't bad, I think I'd need to do about ten more to really get the hang of it. It was super cool melting the flakes, so I like your alchemist analogy!