View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Yep, plus on on the headstock...and good luck with the French polishing, that takes dedication!
Thanks! I have French polished every instrument I have made so far, but didn’t really get it down until this past year. The first few attempts were less French polish and more just a few coats of shellac, but after lots of practice, I figured it out. It’s involved and takes some extra time, but I work out of my home basement and do not want to introduce any noxious sprays into my process. And of course the biggest factor is the sound quality and feel. I don’t like the plasticy feel of nitro and other finishes, and I would not trade sound quality for dent protection. Of course this is just my opinion and don’t think anyone else’s preferences are wrong. Plus turning shellac flakes and Everclear into a guitar finish makes me feel like an insane alchemist.

I am in the lucky group that does not have a problem with my sweat eating through French polish, but I am thinking of switching to using an oil varnish on the neck for this reason.

Thanks Balek, I’m excited to get tuners on this headstock to see how it all finishes out.