View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 07:56 AM

Default Build Thread: Indian Rosewood and Torrified Sitka 000

Hello, my name is Tim Garst. I have been building for about 3 years and this is my 8th instrument (2 classical, 1 ukulele, 1 acoustic bass, 4 steel string). I started woodworking 6 years ago and eventually found J.S. Bogdonavich’s book at the library and thought “I could try that”. That first guitar was not impressive, but I really caught the bug and here I am. Building guitars is more an impulse than a business opportunity to me, but I only have so much room in the house for hand built guitars, so I would like to start getting my foot in the door and get other people playing my instruments.

I am very aware that I am still in the early stages of becoming a luthier and look forward to any constructive criticism, advice, and ideas this community of amazing builders, players, and collectors can throw my way.

Alright, enough BS, let’s talk about this guitar.

Top: torrified Sitka spruce
Bracing: torrified Sitka spruce
Back and sides: Indian rosewood
Binding: Sapele
Neck: mahogany
Tuners: Gotoh M6 minis, gold

This is my first time using torrified wood. I love the tap tone, and oddly enough the smell is very pleasant. But the brittleness adds some extra difficulty. I can’t say how I truly feel until I get strings on here.
This is mostly a Martin 000 copy, but I use a different headstock, bridge, and heel and widen the nut from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4.

A little hand plane action
IMG_0188.jpgIMG_0188.jpg

Laying out bracing pattern
IMG_0246.jpg

A preview of the rosette: Indian rosewood, Sapele, and splalted maple from the firewood pile. The honeyed tone of the baked Sitka has me drooling.
IMG_0245.jpg

Thanks for taking a peek, more to come!

Last edited by Archaic Guitars; 11-24-2020 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Mispelling