View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 10:40 AM

Default Tom Doerr - the Brazilian build that took 5 years to start

Okay folks. Let’s do this. My first build thread. I originally commissioned this build 5 years ago, reserving the set and then...life happened. I’ll skip the details but, I back. And the build has begun. Here is a link to the original thread. I’m sorry the PB account is useless and I’m not going to sweat it. But, there will be new pics. First time trying Imgur. We’ll find out together how THAT works

After much consideration, I’ve gone back to where I started in my thinking. I wanted a big guitar with some ergonomic accommodations. I also wanted a bold tone that would also respond with articulation and nuance. I tend to push the limits of dynamics and need a guitar that will sound sweet and bellish, or rumble like Bo Diddly. Neil young cs 1970 to Michael Hedges (Oracle). Not that I am half the player of either. Sprinkle in some old acoustic blues, early R&B, Stones, Dylan And then 60’s/70’s Willie/Waylon/Guy Clark/Steve Goodman....Mexican/Spanish I’m all over the map. I need a guitar that will hang.

So a Modified Dread it will be. With his cutaway and anRyan bevel. I picked the wood from Toms Brazilian stash (which is truly something to behold) in ‘15. Since then, Tom found a wonderful Red Spruce top. Braz FB and Bridge with Ebony binding.

Here we go with the Imgur links. More to come as updates flow in from Tom. Expecting June/July delivery and NOW, I’m finally getting really excited!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red