View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 AM

James, obviously, there is no quick and easy "Right" answer. But I will help as much as I can. I have owned and tested many preamps.

What I use currently are the Grace Alix (3 weeks old) and the Fire Eye Red Eye. I am in a phase of my amplified playing that I am looking for easy. Easy set-up, easy use, and great sound quality. When I owned the pendulum and a K&K/mic combo, I could get that to sound excellent but it was a big hassle. I have discovered the Dazzo Pickup, it needs no mic. Sounds excellent. Needs very little EQ because they are made to be optimized for your guitar's voice and your ear or desire for bass response. It yields such a natural true to life tone that I have hesitated to go the the Tonedexter yet. The Alix is an exceptional unit and if you plan to dual source then go with the Felix. The Red Eye is just easy. My Dazzo needs very little EQ for it to pop through the mix.

Tell us, what you don't like about your current live sound then people can help you more rather than just throwing out gear. If you plan to stick with your Highlander, (it is a good UST) then perhaps the Tonedexter is for you. It fixes the problem UST's generally have but you still have to EQ it to your needs, situation and tastes. Sometimes the Just-like-your-guitar sound is not ideal for the venue. Good luck in your journey.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful