View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Steve is in the Northwest and most likely will use Bigleaf Maple which is prolific and indigenous to where he is located. Here is an example of a carved bigleaf maple backs (top two photos). The other common maple used is Sycamore Maple which is native to Europe. Two other examples are shown below. Besides differences in their figure, they differ in density, stiffness and hardness.

Some of the figures you bring up such as quilt is not so much a species, but how the wood is sawn. Quilting is seen when flat sawn and curl or fiddleback when it is quartersawn. Birdseye figure is seen in Sugar (Hard) Maple when it is flatsawn. Talk with Steve and he’ll point you in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
If this belongs in another section, I ask the mods to please move it.

I am having an archtop built for me by Steven Holst, and he has asked me about what type of curly maple I like. I have a vague idea, but there are so many different possibilities: flamed, quilted, tiger stripe, wide or thin, etc.

So, I'm asking for photos so that I can see what kind of choices I'm looking at. I'm sure you have photos of your fine guitars, so if you don't mind sharing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TIA