View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 06:29 PM

Hi Blueser -
WA1ISD here. I’ve been a ham since 1967 and have seen the field change as dramatically as the technology. Communications that once required massive antennas and kilowatt amplifier can now be achieved with transceivers the size of a cigarette pack (remember those?).

The best starting point is ARRL.org (The American Radio Relay League). They have many beginner FAQs and tutorials and likely can get you hooked up with some local ‘Elmers’, an affectionate term for a ham radio mentor.

I have not been on the air consistently for many years, but that is a matter of spare time. I will likely pick it up again when I retire. In the past, I had a great fascination with building radios and gear. I also enjoyed working with very low power communication and seeing how distant a contact I could make.

One caveat - GAS in ham radio is probably equal or greater to the GAS problem that we all have with guitars. Good luck with this!

All best es 73s (ham radio sign-off)

Rick

PS - you’re absolutely right - when all communications are down, ham radio still works. This was dramatically illustrated during Hurricane Katrina. FEMA now works closely with ham radio groups during times of disaster.

Last edited by srick; 08-09-2020 at 06:37 PM.