View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There is a saying that if you remember the 60s, you probably weren't there. But, then, there were probably some sober moments somewhere in all that.

Tony
As a person who was there and who "gets the joke" from this famous saying, I've often thought it false. Many Sixties experiencers have lots of memories of it, enough to bore some audiences. The real "forgotten" decade is the Seventies, not only because some of the "Sixties" happened then, but because as a interval between the "Sixties" and the Eighties feels overwhelmed in memory by the decades on either side. Kind of how the Korean War era gets forgotten in American history.

I've only been able to watch the first 30 minutes or so of Echo. It sure looks like the focus is on more current artists encountering the past Laurel Canyon scene. That's a valid choice, even if it might not be the one you or I or the next person might choose. How deep will they go with that? I'll need to see the rest of film. My impression from the opening parts is that they also decided to talk about the Sixties band scene more than I might have guessed they would. That they would spend as much time in the first quarter talking about the Byrds was (IMHO) a solid choice, ditto the now largely forgotten Mamas and the Pappas. Those were savvy choices in how the scene started to develop from what I understand.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 11-02-2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typos