View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Hi Kyle,

I have used Guanacaste (also parota, kelobra) before, and I have boatloads of it (another story). It is very easy to work with - though it is commonly ribbon-grained (read interlocked) and can present a little difficulty in bending if you’re inexperienced. However, it’s stable, lightweight, looks and sounds a lot like mahogany. The one major caveat is that it’s dust has the effect of choking everyone I have ever seen exposed to it. Without fail, you will cough and choke if exposed to the dust for long. I use dust masks when working it, and I’m fine. But, if you’re not committed to wearing a mask throughout the build, you will do a lot of coughing.

Unfortunately a computer disaster makes it to where I don’t have any great pics to share. When I’m at work tomorrow, I can take pics of some of the wood. I have also used it as a neck where it works great as well.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

That’s cool to hear that you’ve done it an it’s worked? Have you made more than one guitar out of it? I’d love to see some pictures of the finished guitar(s).
As far as immediate questions go I have a few.
1. I’ve read a lot about the difficulties of getting a good finish with Parota because it’s so fibrous. I’ve read that when sanded it looks “fuzzy” and it’s really hard to knock down. Did you have that issue? And if you did how did you confront it? I have been considering just using a cabinet scraper but I’m a little unsure if I can keep it flat.
2. Have you done one with a Parota top in addition to the back and sides? If so how does it compare to a mahogany/Koa or a cedar/spruce top.
3. Lastly do you have any follow-up from any Parota guitars that you have sold/parted with? In my work I get the opportunity to travel a lot internationally and I’m wondering how it might hold up over time and travel. If I end up making one and selling it/giving it away I don’t want to give someone a dud. I’m particularly interested in the neck, as I feel reassured that cracking is not a special concern.
Thanks, Kyle