View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 05:31 AM
Charter Member

There has been talk of "new" "tight" "opening up" etc.

Take these comments seriously.
because I refer to have guitars that are a little different from the 14 fret dreads and OMs that most pursue, I have bought most of my instruments sight unseen.

I have experienced a fair few that were very much in the "tight" category, with no real option to choose another or even to return them.

I had no choice but to "work them in" to "open them up".

In 2014, I bought a Santa Cruz "RS" (Roy Smeck) from a guy in the USA (I'm in the UK) The guitar was two years old but virtually unplayed. Adi top apparently, Big deep body jumbo -
It took a long time, I tried a Tonerite quite a lot, nothing, and , of course, I played it -then suddenly after some YEARS - Boom, it came to me. Everytime I play it now it makes me smile.

In the shop, my Waterloo was so much better than any of the gibson L-00s that I'd gone to buy, but a disappointment when I got it home in November 2016. I hung it on the wall in my little home office for a few moths as I was having medical treatment, and couldn't really play for some months, but I spent a lot of time in that office listening to talk radio thought really good '70s amp and speakers.

Then, one day, I took it down and "WOW" it sung.

The task of a guitarist with a new instrument is to male it sound like you want it.

Many like to buy old instruments because whilst they might be buying maintenance issues, someone else has ,theoretically, done the work for them.

Now, they do these "torriefied" tops for us old guys who don't feel we can hang around that long - your choice.