View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 04:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

I draw a line at what guides the tool. CNC is computer guided, that’s obviously on one side of the line. A router held and guided by eye hand coordination is considered by myself to be on the other side of the line. A router following a hard template is more controversial. I consider it not “hand”operated because it is following a repeatable template. This is an arguable point, but philosophically it is what I believe. The line, for me, has to do with whether or not the work is blindly following a formula, or is instead a part of the design process wherein the results are builder-influenced structurally by the variability of the materials and the specific goal.

The real question, then, is not so much whether there is a difference between handmade and hand-crafted (semantics IMO), but the degree to which art-process is incorporated as opposed to manufacturing process. This would matter to me, of course, as I am as far out on the Art-Process side as I can be and still be making what appear to be conservative guitars. Arguably art, but actually music tools.

In my opinion, of course.