View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Plan?
I hadn't played guitar in over 40 years. Then, three years ago, closing in on retirement, I got the bug again and ordered something I'd always wanted: an electric. Then another one. Then an acoustic. Then another acoustic.
I'm untrained. Can't read a note. Never had a lesson. But have a good ear and can look up chords on the internet and watch YouTube lessons. I started out knowing a few "cowboy chords" and have branched out from there.
I don't play to impress anyone. My wife likes music but hands out compliments like man hole covers. I play for myself and occasionally my brother-in-law who is an excellent guitar player.
I wanted to play some rock, hence my choice to buy an electric first. And I still enjoy cranking up my amp (through headphones) and banging out "Won't Get Fooled Again" or whatever now and then.
My father-in-law, a man of modest means, heard me playing my Strat one time - I played on original instrumental, as I recall - and said he wanted to buy me another guitar because he appreciated my ability to pick up an instrument and play it, something he can't do. And that's when I bought my first acoustic in over 40 years. As opposed to the last one I'd had, this one actually sounded and played great, further proof you don't have to spend a fortune to have a quality guitar.
After a lifetime of having to be somewhere every day (school or work), the last thing I need or want in my life is more things I feel obligated to do. So I probably set my guitar goals lower than I should. I just enjoy playing and learning new songs. I have days of inspiration when I bury myself in playing and learning and others when I do other things. But I try to play every day. Overall, I'm reasonably pleased with my "progress" but I also know that the more I learn, the further I have to go to be really good. Maybe I'll get there, maybe I won't. But I'm enjoying the journey.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J