View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziapack View Post
Made the swap yesterday, and what a dramatic difference, very pleased with the outcome. Didn't stop with just the cone transplant, but also had ordered and installed a National Hot Plate Resophonic Pickup. And....it's awesome!

frankmcr shared two articles regarding glueing the biscuit, the second was pro do not glue, but explained exactly why I should glue. The article explained with proper set up of the biscuit and cone that fit was the key and did not require glueing. Then went on to describe leveling of the biscuit, sanding, filing and how to properly fit the biscuit. Appeared above my pay grade, so I glued. This adds the "mortar" so to speak to make the proper contact between biscuit and cone. Requires just a very fine bead of glue to fill any depressions or voids between the two materials, add your screw and presto, done.

The cone was a perfect match and just dropped into place, I just wiped out dust to make for better contact. I did use my original biscuit, the new biscuit from National would have required shaping, filing groves for the string spacing and height adjustments for proper action and once again, beyond my experience and comfort level.

Installing the Hot Plate was not a perfect fit, but went together nicely. The opening on the Republic is just slightly larger than the Hot Plate layout. There is good contact along the whole diameter but the screw holes did not line up. I centered the plate in the location, used some masking tape to secure it, and redrilled the holes. I was able to use the old screws, the plate has a great look, the cool factor is off the chart.

Initial impression after the upgrades, less volume, not drastic but less. The tone greatly improved and what I had hoped for. More warmth and clarity to the notes, greater sustain, pleasing to my ear. Then of course I can plug in the Hot Plate and oh my!! The Hot Plate design does a great job of amplifying the resophonic sound and adds a whole new dimension to the capabilities of the guitar. Way beyond what I had hoped for and I am very pleased.
Phweew a hot plate too? Lucky Butt! haha
I would love to see pictures and or hear it with the new cone and hear it plugged in!

Right now im trying to make a decision between a single cone and a tricone and I'm sweating bullets cus I dont want to order one and then regret not getting the other instead. I would love both but yeah
Really wish i had a dealer in my area who carried these

The only thing im worried about with the single cone is how long a note sustains and how long a chord sustains

The things im worried about with the tricone is lack of bass and clarity of individual notes when played close together