View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Wired up my scrap yard electric motor. Ran perfectly. It had an existing pulley on it, but it was on the wrong side to run the sander in the direction to which I have become accustomed. So I had to remove it, which was a pain in the rear. But once it was off and remounted on the other side, it was the perfect setup. The half horse, 1700RPM motor runs the sander beautifully. The only noisy part of the process is the sandpaper actually cutting into the work piece. Well, that and the shop vac. It's louder than the sander is. The old circular saw motor is going straight into the trash. The other nice part of the motor is that is doesn't even seem to notice the load when it begins cutting into a work piece. RPMs stay pretty much stable.

So I finished sanding the back. But I do have another major(minor?) mistake to report. I'll not be able to remove all the blade marks from the resawing process from the inside of the back. There are also some minor marks on the outside of the back, but they should be routed off when I do the binding channel. The back is .09" right now, and I don't want to thin it any further. So note to self. When resawing wood myself, allow a little more initial thickness to work with. Won't be a problem when working with wood purchased from an actual wood supplier. This won't affect the instrument cosmetically from the outside. Though if you look into the sound hole, you will see some resaw marks inside the guitar. Shouldn't impact the guitar structurally either.

Today, I took the full size drawings I had printed at staples and cut out the body shape. Then I penciled in the shape on the top and back and used the band saw to cut out the shapes, giving myself half inch or so of room outside the pencil marks.

Next up... bracing. I need to order the wood though, so I'll be idle for a couple days working on actual pieces of a guitar. I'll use the time (hopefully) to put together the form and perhaps build the bending iron. I also need to resaw the sides from my remaining stick of oak.

Last edited by Viking; 07-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.