View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardb View Post
I have been checking back n this post for a couple of days and wasn't going to comment but I've changed my mind. My wife passed away almost 5 years ago I am 76 and we were married for 51 years. Her death was quite drawn out so we had a lot of discussion. We accepted the fact she was going to die--she was more accepting than me. Her big concern was that I find someone else to spend the future with. I flat out told her no--that I planned to spend the rest of my years with myself.

I met a younger lady (50) at church and we really hit it off well. So I let my guard done. She had divorced her husband a few years ago after he became abusive Long story short, as I showed more and more interest she backed away more and more. She finally cut it off and she wasn't very pleasant about it. I was crushed but then I started to think about my own plan of living alone.

I decided not to go through any of this again. I've had several friends that were either divorced or widowed and thought they found the new love of their life. In their not too distant future it ended in disaster. I thank God for the wonderful wife I had and the many years we had together. Instead of putting the effort on finding a new woman, I have put my effort on being happy with what I have, not being lonely, and enjoying my freedom.
I’ve had a very different path than you but have come to the same conclusion - when in the twenties it’s easy and natural for most to find a partner - it’s second nature to who we are as human and social beings - but there comes a point when the ship has sailed for dating, and although it depends on individual circumstances, I’ve reached that point now at the age of 54 - the attraction has to be there, and older women have found me attractive, but I’m only attracted to much younger women - I’m still at that much younger stage in my mind too - but I won’t go there - many years ago I was with an older woman, but at some point the age difference becomes apparent and other imbalances (financial), which turns out to be not fair for either person, in my experience.