View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Hi John,

* Thank you so much for chimin in and for the kind words! Glad to hear that your Sunrise is singin even sweeter, finding that sweet spot makes a huge difference for sure.

** Do you use any outboard gear combined with your Sunrise? And on another note do you feel the Sunrise affects your unplugged tone? ...I've had folks inquire to me about that and I can assuredly say that the M80, (that weighs about 8oz.), does not impede the unplugged tone of my D18. These two fine mags get compared a lot, they both sound excellent imo.

Thanks again

eric
Oh I have so much outboard gear it's embarrassing, I anchor an electric band with upfront acoustic rhythm guitar and boosted leads so my setup is a little esoteric. I love the Sunrise, even more now after tweaking it per your advice, but while I'm severely allergic to piezo quack I'm also pretty far removed from the "my guitar only louder" camp. I do plug first into an SB-1 preamp before a series of Pettyjohn and Strymon pedals.

I have an M80 (actually a Takamine Tri-Ax) but it's not quite as happy with my hard strumming, although I agree it's a great pickup and I love the way it works with your percussive playing style. For me picking up the body sounds wouldn't be a good thing!

The weight of the Sunrise is unfortunate, but I've found that by tightening the mounting brackets as lightly as possible the impact on tone is minimized. I use the Sunrise as a single source so maybe it's only about what the pole pieces are hearing anyway. I do frequently record into a mic and take out the Sunrise when I do. I play a Taylor 316ce, although I special ordered it without electronics so I guess it's a 316c!

John

Last edited by jparis51; 08-10-2018 at 12:17 PM.