View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. I wanted to provide some more context for my process and requirements.

Bottom line is i'm a hobbyist that records guitar and vocal demos. Occasionally I build out a recording to include drums, bass, and an electric guitar. I will not be producing songs with > 10 tracks and I don't go to deep at all with the effects.

Budget is a concern but I have set aside cash to get some new gear so what is most important to me is getting a rig that works well without a lot of software config/set up. I'm most interested in writing and performing. Home recording is something that I want to do more of but have no interest in the technical aspect of it. I'm NOT interested in spending a lot of time to learn all of the deep capabilities of a DAW, I need something that I can use easily to record clean tracks, compatibility is a concern as I need to be able to export tracks, AIFF, or WAVE so that they can be ingested into other systems for post production. I plan to leave that to folks that specialize in that.

Portability is important because I like the flexibility of recording in different spaces (my dedicated basement room at home unfortunately is not conducive to "room sound" as it's a small, box shape, low ceilings, and bad carpet)

I am thinking about the new 15" macbook pro with i7/6 core/8th gen chips/ 16 gig ram/512 SSD drive - this rig is most definitely overkill for me but at least it will be good for 6-7 years. I may also do some light video editing on the side.

I have liked logic express with the apogee duet over the last several years.

For interface I am leaning towards the new apogee duet (thunderbolt) or the new UA apollo. Logic pro for software, new mac book pro.

If anyone wants an old apogee duet (firewire) that works perfectly let me know and we can discuss it. I'm also interested in selling my AKG c414 also mint as I'm going to try a different condenser mic with whatever my new rig ends up being.

Thanks again and looking forward to more insights.

Last edited by cheer tunes; 08-12-2018 at 08:22 AM.