View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
What you may not understand is what many of us already said - the mandolin equivalent of a "Yamaha or other low price good value starter instrument, sub-500 level" is going to cost about $1000. A new sub $500 mandolin is a mandolin-shaped object, generally not suitable for anyone who already plays an instrument and knows good sound from bad.
Mandobart, I do understand (that mandolins cost 2x the price of roughly equivalent guitars), and I never disputed it.

My point was the mismatch of approaches that caused some to recommend $2K instruments to someone who posted "I’d like to get a mandolin and start learning, for an occasional song here and there." Really? $2K for an occasional instrument?

And, by the way, I've been a pro musician since the mid-Seventies and I do know good sound from bad. I own one of those sub $500 mandolins with a JJB pickup, and it suits my needs just fine (occasional song here and there). I am thankful I did not spend anymore as I have discovered that my fingers are not suitable for the small fretboard, limiting how much progress I can make.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci