View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM

Okay. Took a few days off from thinking about guitars. It actually induces a decent bit of anxiety when I'm thinking about things that I can't yet do anything about. But then over the week end, I got some decent work done.

Redoing the rosette. I started with 2 thin pieces of wood, established a center, drew the radii, then cut identical pieces, each 1/4 inch wide.

Next I cut the inner and outer bands.

Next, cut the pieces on the radii that I'm shooting for.

Then glue. I used a piece of paper with packing tape for this step. Worked perfectly. And, the center wood piece used for circular integrity, was covered in packing tape along it's circumference.

Rout the rosette channel into the top.

Glue the rosette into the channel, then sand flush. For those of you curious, I did anticipate needing to thin the top a small additional amount. Took probably another .005-.01 off.

An interesting and unintended feature of the rosette... I didn't intend to use one of the sap wood pieces. But in my haste to glue it up, one got in at the 2 o'clock position. I actually kind of like it. Compliments the sap wood that will be there with the back and sides.

I also finished the jointing and gluing on the back. I also began thickness sanding it. Not done yet, will be able to finish tomorrow night.

Next I started on cutting the sound hole with my practice top. Used the Cumpiano popcicle stick method. Didn't like it much, but my exacto knife wasn't that sharp. So I'll need to get another and try again before I cut on my real top. The results on my practice top were not terrible, but the edge of the hole is not very uniform. I would use my circle cutting jig with the trim router, but it won't go the 1 & 7/8 inch radius I need it to. That radius is too small for it.

Last edited by Viking; 07-22-2013 at 08:58 PM.