View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
The King is dead! Long live the King...

Eric’s Kostal MD thread was closed by the Mods yesterday because at 345 posts is was apparently getting difficult for the forum software to cope with (happens at >300 posts). We were asked to “feel free to begin a Part 2”, if we wished to continue discussing Jason’s MD.

Well, no sooner had the Gauntlet been thrown down then Jason tells me my MD is underway. Accordingly, it's time to wake this Lazarus of a thread up! I hope this proves as entertaining for you all as the last Kostal thread.

Anyway, to kick off, I had been having some discussion with Jason about whether to bookmatch the ABW backs along the sap like this:

Alternatively, what about a backstrip, separating the sap, like this ABW Somogyi.

Difficult decision. So who can guess what the inimitable Mr Kostal did???

Like Eric, I am a terrible tease!

Cheers,
Steve

Come on, Steve, spill the beans? What did Jason do?

I reviewed the madrose MD and liked it, but I had a very brief opportunity to play Michael's quilted mahogany MD recently and liked it even better, though the acquaintance was a fleeting one.

I'd be very interested to hear one of his OMs. Like you, I'm a big fan of the OM sound and my Sobell NW is a benchmark instrument for me.

I currently have a Baranik Meridian in ABW on order. I'm slowly turning over my little collection (I never meant to be a collector!). After the Baranik the next one will be......

Bourgeois JOM custom - Adirondack/koa
Brook OM custom (maybe!) - Bubinga/Sitka
Lowden F 25th anniversary model - European/Brazilian
David Oddy J - Englemann/Brazilian
David Oddy mandocello - European spruce/flame maple
David Oddy A4 mandolin