View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
In my dreams, I'm still trying to figure out a way for the Somogyi to come home with me ("but honey, it's a bullet-proof investment..."). But I guess no matter how fantastic an instrument it is (and it really is), the cost of admission to the Somogyi hall of fame is still prohibitive.
Hi Huck - I loved the Somogyi as is obvious from my post above. I would also have loved to leave TAMCO with it but, like you say, the price of entry is "prohibitive". If it could replace my existing guitars then I would definitely have considered it but it was quite unlike anything I'd heard before - Not "better" as I say above, but different and very very good. I'm a huge fan of that OM sound so getting rid of my existing guitars to fund the Somogyi MD just wasn't an option - I'd still hanker after a smaller guitar as well.

It's worth making the point that Jason's guitar (or at least no 31), while reminiscent of the Somogyi MD, has it's own voice. I thought that although they shared some characteristics, they were definitely different instruments. I guess what I'm trying to say is that getting an MD from Jason is not akin to getting a Somogyi MD for less outlay. Rather, you're getting (or at least I hope to get) a very, very good guitar that is in the same ballpark build wise/tone-wise (i.e. it's a MD), but from a different builder. As for the Kostal OM, I just didn't want to get the MD, then think "oh I want an OM as well", and have to wait even longer. I don't think two guitars from Jason is particularly risky given the quality I saw in no. 31 and I have well over a year to find the cash; I've asked that there are several months between the builds so that I don't have to fund one right after the other and so have plenty of time to raise the funds. I'm not a great hoarder of guitars, so as these come in, others will go out so that I don't have to rob the bank!

Cheers,
Steve